We are a membership-based Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, [SCIO].
Membership of the SBU is open to all bridge players, aged 12 years or more on 1st of September of their first year of membership. Usually, a player will apply for SBU membership and nominate a club as their primary club, i.e., their home club.
The SBU membership year is from the 1st of September to the 31st of August, irrespective of any club membership year (they are often different). Members having paid their membership fee for the current season are entitled to attend and vote at SBU General Meetings - the AGM is usually held in May each year.
- Junior members are members who on 1st January in the current season have not reached the age of 25). They are eligible for a 50% reduction in the annual SBU membership fee. Entry to club, district, and SBU competitions may be discounted.
- If you are ready to join us please follow this link for instructions
- SBU Membership is also available on a “DIRECT” basis, via payment directly to the SBU - see Direct membership.
Annual subscription fees differ according to membership type.
For the membership year/season of 1st September 2023 to 31st August 2024 the fees are ...
- £12.00 for adults: payment due no later than the 30th of November 2023 via the home-affiliated club.
- £6.00 for juniors: payment due no later than the 30th of November 2023 via the home-affiliated club or the Juniors club.
- £12.00 for direct members: payment due no later than the 31st October 2023 directly to the SBU.
How to pay
All correspondence to the SBU Honorary Treasurer
Bank transfers to the SBU are the best way to pay, with a reference of "MBRS SUBS xxxxx" where 'xxxxx' is the name of the club.
SBU bank account details:
Bank of Scotland
Sort code 80-22-60
Account number 22494862
Clubs should pay by bank transfer but if this is really not possible then we will accept a cheque, however this facility will not be available beyond 2023.
Cheques should be mailed to:
Laura Cooper, SBU Treasurer, 44 Murrayfield Ave., Edinburgh, EH12 6AY.
For any membership queries or requests, please contact membership @ sbu.org.uk
20 June 2023