The Scottish Bridge Union (SBU) is dedicated to the development of the wonderful sport of bridge within Scotland and beyond. The SBU aims to help improve mental health and social welfare within the wider community through education, participation, and social interaction playing bridge.
We organise activities for players at all levels, so whether you are new to bridge or a seasoned competitor, the SBU aims to provide something for you. We provide educational opportunities for everyone, including children and young people, to help them understand and enjoy the game. We would encourage you to take up SBU membership and to help us achieve these goals.
The SBU, the National Bridge Organisation of Scotland, is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) of members.
We were recognised in 2021 by the Office of the Scottish Charity Register (OSCR) as a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SC051361), but the original foundations were laid in 1933.
Welcome to the SBU
The Scottish Bridge Union (SBU) is a charity, dedicated to the development of bridge within Scotland and beyond.
Our vision is for Scotland to be widely recognised as a Centre of Excellence for Bridge
Our mission is to foster, promote and communicate participation and enjoyment of bridge as a mind sport in Scotland.
We invite you to join us to help us achieve our goals.
Our goals are to ensure that
- People in Scotland are aware of the social and health benefits of playing bridge.
- There is an increase in the number of people of all ages, abilities, and diverse backgrounds playing bridge.
- Scotland is adapting the provision of bridge to ensure its sustainability in a fast-changing digital world.
- SBU ensures the interests of the wider membership are taken into account in determining and driving forward the operational plan.
- There are established pathways and opportunities for volunteers, teachers, and tournament directors
- Bridge clubs and tutors in Scotland provide high-quality teaching and play facilities.
- SBU maintains a high standard of fair and honest play by all its members in accordance with the World Bridge Federation’s Regulations.
- We have a competitive presence in international competition and a recognised voice in the governance of the sport.
Our values are integral to all activities supported and provided by the SBU
- Honesty and maintaining high ethical standards
- Always treating other players, TDs, and teachers with dignity and respect
- Embracing change to continuously improve
- Encourage questioning and active listening
Currently, there are around 5000 active members and 97 clubs affiliated with the SBU.
Strategic Plan 2022-2025
The trustees have agreed the Strategic Plan for the 3 years to 2025 - access our Strategic Plan here
About Our Structure
The Board, Management Team, and Members are all bound by various Governance documents, policies, procedures, and the Constitution:
- Scottish Bridge Union Governance
- Scottish Bridge Union Code of Conduct
- SBU Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Conflict of Interest policy
- Our Organisational Structure
The history and the Journey of the SBU from 1933 to 2008 can be found here in a commemorative book written to celebrate the first 75 years. The SBU is justly proud of its history and of the characters who helped shape it.