About SBU Membership (2021-2022)
Membership of the SBU is open to all bridge players, aged 12 years or more on 1st September of their first year of membership.
Usually, a player will subscribe through an affiliated club in Scotland by nominating that club as their primary club, i.e. their home club.
Members can join more than one affiliated club, but must name one specific club as their home club, and pay their SBU fee to the club Treasurer.
SBU Membership is also available on a “DIRECT” basis, via payment directly to the SBU (see below).
- The SBU membership year is from the 1st of September to the 31st of August, irrespective of any club membership year (they are often different).
SBU Members are entitled to attend and vote at SBU General Meetings - the AGM is usually held in May each year.
- Junior members are members who on 1st January in the current season have not reached the age of 25). They are eligible for a 50% reduction in their annual SBU membership fee, plus all SBU, District, and club competition entry fees, plus playing fees for trial events during the whole season, irrespective of whether these playing fees are levied by the SBU, District or affiliated clubs. Where there are supplementary charges, for meals or accommodation, for example, these are not generally discounted since they are usually provided at cost price.
- In the period 1st April to the 31st August, a membership payment for the then-current year is not requested from those joining the SBU via an affiliated club the first time. This concession is also given to any past member who is returning after a long absence (say five years). In both these cases, this means that the player will not be expected to make a payment until the next season starts. However, complete newcomers will still need to apply as normal and provide personal details so that they can be registered and provided with an SBU number.
- For annual subscription fees, see below.
- Any membership queries or requests please contact
How to Join the SBU as a DIRECT MEMBER
Send an email to
Please give your title (Mr/Mrs etc), name, postal address, gender, email address, a telephone number (preferably a mobile), your other home Union name (EBU/WBU/NIBU/CBAI), and number if you have one, and finally your BBO user name if you wish to participate in SBU/BBO online events.
It is as easy as that!
Please note that DIRECT membership is intended for players whose circumstances make club membership unsuitable since we want to encourage club membership as much as we can.
Aspiring members of the SBU who reside outside Scotland may join the SBU but must have the SBU DIRECT as their home club.
We are primarily a Scottish club-based organisation and wish to promote local club membership where possible.
The following circumstances would justify DIRECT membership.
Scottish residents who have not yet decided which club to join and need membership in the interim.
Scottish residents who find it unsuitable to join an affiliated club.
Scots who live outside Scotland anywhere.
British Isles residents who are members of other UK and Ireland Bridge Unions and who wish to play in Scottish competitions where SBU membership is a requirement.
Non-Scots living outside the British Isles having a close relationship with Scotland or Scottish people.
We are reasonably flexible, most Europeans will have distant Scottish ascendant since the Scots have traveled widely!
Annual Subscription Fees
Annual subscription fees differ according to membership type.
For the membership year/season of 1st September 2021 to 31st August 2022 the fees are ...
- £8.00 for ordinary (adult) members: payment due by 30th November 2021 via the home affiliated club.
- £4.00 for juniors: payment due 30th November 2021 via the home affiliated club or the Juniors club.
- £13.00 for direct members: payment due by 30th October 2021 directly to the SBU.
- Annual membership fees are normally decided at the May AGM for the season after the next one; effectively 15 months in advance.
- Subscriptions for the membership year 2022-2023, approved by the 2021 AGM, will be the same as for the 2021-2022 year.
- For payments please see below (bank transfers preferred but only with adequate references such as SBU number).
All payments correspondence send to the SBU Treasurer Scott MacDonald
SBU bank a/c details Bank of Scotland
Cheques to be written to “Scottish Bridge Union” in full.
Please provide a meaningful reference.
W L Whyte
Member Services Committee
27th August 2021