51 members attended the briefing sessions and a few who could not attend have asked for a note of the key points. Some of these are listed below but members are invited to contact Mike Ash, Director of Selection at
- A squad system will focus on providing programmes for improvement, through
- play and discuss sessions
- providing coaches for partnerships
- Funding has been agreed over a 3/4 year period. Despite the SBU establishing a substantial budget, the proliferation of events and rising costs will involve asking players selected for overseas events to make some financial contribution and/or support fund raising activities. A confidential 'hardship' fund has been established to avoid anyone being excluded because of affordibility.
- Juniors now come under the remit of the Director of Selection. The new Under 31 category is a good opportunity to keep younger player engaged and we propose to enter teams and pairs in the regular European events. It is proposed to run the three squads – U21, U26 and U31 - separately. Volunteers to help co-ordinate one of these squads are now needed.
- For this year up to 4 Performance Events at weekends will be run. The programme for future years will be assessed after the 2024 Home Internationals. These Events will INFORM rather than DETERMINE selection - particularly in year 1 - and performance in other high-level events will also be considered (see questionnaire section for more information on what are considered high-level events).
- A flexible approach to selection will try to take account of individual circumstances and recognise potential and commitment.
- We need help in running Thursday night and weekend events (and support from clubs in providing venues and boards). Please contact DoS with any offers or suggestions.