SBU Women's Trial – Supplementary Conditions of Contest
- The SBU Women's Trial relates to the selection of the Scotland team for the 2016 Home International Series Lady Milne Trophy and 2016 European Team Championships.
- The trial process will consist of one long weekend: 4-6 December 2015. Play will only be required on the Friday evening if more than four teams enter.
- The leading team from the trial will be selected for the Lady Milne Trophy on 15-17 April 2016 in Northern Ireland.
- The winning team will also be invited to represent Scotland in the Women's Series of the 2016 European Team Championships.
- This Conditions of Contest is supplementary to the General Conditions of Contest for the Scottish National League and SBU Trials and is established by the Selection Committee ("Committee") of the Scottish Bridge Union.
- Entries from teams of four to six players should be sent to the Secretary of the Committee, Ms Anne Perkins, email . The closing date for entries is 20 October 2015. All entries will be acknowledged.
- The Committee reserves the right to accept late entries at its absolute discretion.
- The entry fee for the trial is £140 per team. The Secretary can provide the SBU bank details to facilitate electronic transfers.
- If the final number of entries is too few to run any stage of the trial effectively, the Committee reserves the right to change the format.
- The trial will be held on 4-6 December 2015, probably at the St Andrew Bridge Club, Glasgow. Play will only be required on the Friday evening if more than four teams enter.
- The format is dependent on the number of teams entering. The likely formats are:
- Two teams: eight 16-board matches over two days
- Three teams: quadruple round-robin of 16-board matches
- Four teams: double round-robin of 20-board matches
- Five or six teams: double round-robin of 16-board matches (requires Friday evening)
- Matches will be scored in IMP and converted to VP.
- There will be no seating rights.
- Screens will be used if available.
- For the purposes of automatic selection, the weekend, including Friday if required, counts as a single stage.
Systems and conventions
- The trial will be run as a Category 2 SBU competition.
- The SBU regulation prohibiting the psyching of strong, artificial, forcing opening bids does not apply to this event.
- There is a limit of four system cards per team.
- To be automatically eligible for selection a player must be in a partnership that has played at least 50% of the boards. In the event of a player being in two partnerships who have played 50% of the boards then the player must choose a preferred partnership.
Lady Milne selection
- The Committee will automatically select all qualifying pairs from the winning team.
- If required, the Committee shall select pair(s) to fill the remaining places from amongst players who have competed in the trial, taking into account performance in the trial and results in recent national and international events.
European Team Championships selection
- The winning team will be invited to represent Scotland in the Women's Series of the 2016 European Team Championships if it has at least two qualifying pairs. Any non-qualifying pairs will not be automatically selected.
- If only two teams enter and the winning team does not have two qualifying pairs or declines selection, then the Committee will invite the other team providing it has at least two qualifying pairs; if it does not or declines, then the Committee will select a team from participating pairs.
- If only three teams enter and the winning team does not have two qualifying pairs or declines selection, then the Committee will invite the second-placed team providing it has at least two qualifying pairs; if it does not or declines, then the Committee will select a team from participating pairs.
- When more than three teams enter, if the winning team does not have two qualifying pairs or declines selection, then the Committee will invite the highest placed interested team that has at least two qualifying pairs, with the caveat that they must have finished in the top half of the trial.
In the event that no interested team finishes in the top half, then at least one team with two qualifying pairs who competed will be invited to a playoff. At its discretion the Committee may introduce new teams comprising of qualifying pairs into the playoff.
- If required, the Committee will select a third pair from those who competed in the trial taking into account performance in the trial and results in recent national and international events.
- The selected team will be expected to participate in an appropriate program of preparation prior to the championships. Failure to comply with this requirement without reasonable cause may jeopardise selection to represent Scotland in future years.
- Any notices to be given to, or communications for, the Committee should be emailed to the Secretary of the Committee.
- The Committee can be contacted at .